Google

Thursday, June 01, 2006

Designer Profile: Jurgi Persoons - Remembrance of Things Past

To invoke the title of Marcel Proust's masterpiece is to invoke a flood of memories about moments that have left some imprint on you. It is also to invoke the things that passed and will probably not return. It is both nostalgic and sad. Such an imprimint was made on me when I first encountered Jurgi Persoon's work. I remember an iconic image of being completely stopped in my tracks while rushing through Barneys racks by clothes of staggering beauty and craftmanship. These clothes were designed by Jurgi Persoons, a young Belgian, who graduated Antwerp Royal Academy in 92.

Jurgi no longer designs. He was driven out of business by economic reasons - his clothes were very expensive because of a significant amount of difficult manual work they required. The "nervous" assymmetrical stitching, highest quality fabrics, such as Dormeuil wool and a large amount of panels that went into each garment demanded a premium. Unfortunately Jurgi could not get the client base required to keep him afloat. Yet, in my mind he remains a genius. I've collected some pictures (thanks to my friend Scott), and would like to share them with you. His pieces are still displayed in the MOMU museum in Antwerp.

"Mirror" presentation - dispensing with traditional catwalks












Multi-layer kilt from the Scotland-inspired collection - A/W 02

















Coat embellished with chiffon - A/W 99

















Skirt from A/W 99 (check out the stitching!) - must brag, wife is a proud owner of that museum piece.

















Sweater detail - best example of the "nervous" stitching














Pant detail














Sweater

6 Comments:

Blogger Charlotte said...

Wow, I love the mirror catwalk. The mannequins (models?) look like they're ready to be dissected. That appeals to me somehow!

12:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

does anyone know where Jurgi is and what he does now? I am trying to find him, but have no luck googling...

4:54 AM  
Blogger jurgi said...

hello!
this is jurgi.
thanks for your kind words.
i am quite fine (you know there is a life beyond fashion!)

keep the spirit!!

grtz,
jurgi

3:43 AM  
Blogger Fashion Critic said...

Hi Jurgi!

I am happy to hear from you! I am glad that you are doing well, and I hope you know that there are still some people out there who remember your talent! If you feel like talking more about what you do and don't want to do in public, I can provide you my email address.

Cheers,
Fashion Critic

8:33 AM  
Blogger jurgi said...

ok!

6:50 AM  
Blogger Fashion Critic said...

Wonderful, you can email me at zheka92@yahoo.com. I will take down my email address after I receive your email. Thank you, can't wait to catch up!

7:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Hit Counter